Mt. Talinis and the Things I’ve Taken for Granted in Life


Some of them are noticeable at first – until I understand further about ‘why’ I shouldn’t have.

Almost zero visibility. Lake Nailig, Valencia, Negros Oriental | Photo credits to Ofelia (@ucancallmefel)

I’ve been holding this experience on the tip of my tongue since the day after this major climb. I want to entirely contain the emotions first before I share this with the world. As much as I want to give it in full details, I guess words are not enough to totally describe the pain, thrill, and excitement we all felt from the tip of our skin hairs down to our skeletons. 

(Ready your sodas and popcorn, this is a long read. Go, go, go adventures!)


So, here’s the truth of it all: November 11-12, 2018 - worse became worst, the weather is not that pretty, the trail is agonizing, no clearing, some of us got injuries, we all get a little wrecked sometimes and we even reached the point where smiling is no longer part of the option. No more in-between conversations. Everyone’s worn out and exhausted because of what seemed like a never-ending trail. Plus the night trek experience on our way down from the mountain summit, where we slid our way with our hands and butts on the end part of the footpath. I don’t know if I’m the only one who keeps on swearing never to do something this miserable again. This is, by the way, the Apolong-Bidjao trail of the great Cuernos de Negros – Mt. Talinis. 


Interlude: Before I go deeper with my thoughts, I felt a strong need to mention the strong warriors I am with on the trail: our guide - Jeffrey (@bandana_stories), our porters – Angel and Marson, Shiekinah Gay (event organizer), Francis Paul (@wander_paul), Ofelia (@ucancallmefel), Chiarra (@chiarrasebial), J-Ann (@j.annzeparadox), Ariel (@iamaryell), Vincent (@pierce_vince) and Gerald (@beachtarzan). I know each one of us has been through a lot on this journey and at the present, is facing a fight in life about things we do not wish to speak to anyone else. I want to commend you all for the kind of strength that you have. You did not only conquer the struggle brought by the low-pressure weather...but I know you also grew in the midst of it. Let’s keep going. I hope in a couple of months or a few years from now, we’d still look back to this experience and see how far we’ve come. I’m praying for more major climbs with you. *Padidit Ta!*


In the photo: (from the left) J-Ann, Cent, Chiarra, Ariel, Gerald, Jeffrey, Paul, Ofelia, Mj, Shiekinah, Marson, and Angel. | Lake Nailig, Valencia, Negros Oriental | 📷 @bandana_stories

While pushing my way, I had so many realizations in my mind and some of them are the things I took for granted every day, in a sense that I don’t fully notice and enjoy. So, I’m going to start with:

Good Weather

It was a gloomy morning when we arrived at the jump-off. Unluckily, it was the rain that welcomed us right after we stepped out of the van. I guess the weather forecast didn’t lie about the coming low-pressure. It’s disappointing tho. This is my first major climb and I started to feel a bit hesitant about this.

Sometimes there’s no other choice left but to put on a pink poncho and go mountain trekking.

While my first step was deciding to face the downpour, the second step was to prefer not to stay in one permanent place. I have to keep going and move on with the pace, in the midst of what I feel.

A weather that’s liveable, how different would this climb be? If only the sun woke up for us during this weekend camp. We would be enjoying a perfect view from the summit, with no bond-paper background on pictures. The heavy rains and the strong winds did put a good show for us.

Mountain Summit of Cuernos de Negros | Mt. Talinis, Valencia, Negros Oriental | 📷@j.annzeparadox

Watching the rain falling heavily, listening to the strong winds, there are lessons to realize. If only we will just pay attention, the answers are already given along with those tiny droplets, dancing along with the wind breeze.

Home-cooked Meal

We reached the Ranger Station past noon time and stopped to have a quick lunch. I’ve never felt such a strong sense of relief in my life. My feet are really tired and I’m so exhausted and hungry. 

We had packed lunch for Day 1 and ordered it in a common fast food restaurant. Come to think of this, would they still taste as good if you’ve kept eating them for hundreds of times already? Things are really different in the mountains. The one-piece chicken joy I had for lunch tastes really good. The fries soaked in cold moisture are even appetizing. I wish I had more. After filling our hungry tummies, we compose our selves back again for another tormenting ascends and reached the campsite.

Considering a whole day of trekking under a notoriously inclement weather, I lost the willingness to go out of the tent. Ofelia also felt the same. And I can’t stand the cold outside. Good thing Shiek cared so much and decided to bring us food for dinner – humba and ginisang talong. Day 2’s breakfast is superb! Pork sinigang, scrambled egg, buwad, and corned beef. The guys in the team, they’re all responsible for being in-charge of our meals and they never failed to look out for us. For lunch, we enjoyed most of the canned foods.

Breakfast at the campsite. In the photo (from the left): Cent, Shiekinah, Mj, Gerald, J-Ann, and Chiarra. | 📷 @pierce_vince

I never thought about food this much; it was during these moments where I badly miss mama and papa’s lutong bahay dishes. To my surprise, this entire major climb made me order a heavy meal when we arrived downtown - from a usual one cup into two cups of rice real quick. I think everyone from the group enjoyed the dinner with soup #5 on the serving at Baroroy Eatery. It’s comforting to finally dine modestly after a weekend of rugged, tent-pitching life.

Life update: the two cups of rice still continue up until this present, this is a lifetime achievement for me. Praise God!


Nice Bed to Sleep

I thought the day’s fatigue could be worked out with a good night sleep except, it didn’t turn out that way. I am already used to campground sleepovers on high altitude base camp, even with heavy rain and strong winds. But this time, sleeping on damp clothes and soaked tent? It’s a different story to tell.

Even with a poly tarp on the tent’s base, a widespread plastic inside the tent floor and a sleeping bag on top of it – still we ended up sleeping on what seemed like a wet surface. The spot where the tent was put up turned into a squishy, mushy dirt/earth mixed into water caused by the rain shower. It was a state of undesirable dampness. Imagine how unpleasantly cold it is.


Mt. Talinis' Campsite | 📷 @pierce_vince


While Shiek, Ofelia and I shared the same struggle in one tent, I’m pretty sure the rest of the team slept contentedly and at ease on their personal spaces. After the toil of a long day, who would not wish to still feel relaxed and be able to sleep comfortably throughout the night?


Favorite Human Beings

As part of the Apolong-Bidjao trail that we trekked for two days, Jeffrey led us through Kaipohan Sulphur River, Lake Nailig and Lake Yagumyum that were found along the way.

Each of us had our turn for picture takings in these instagramable spots. We also had cool and lit group photos (family picture), which made me remember my favorite people in this world. It would be so nice to go with them on this journey.



Family Picture | Kaipohan Sulfur Vents, Valencia, Negros Oriental | 📷 @wander_paul

"Models-models-models" | Kaipohan Sulfur Vents, Valencia Negros Oriental | 📷 @wander_paul

"Pina-Charlie's Angels pose kuno bi." | Kaipohan Sulfur Vents, Valencia, Negros Oriental | 📷 @wander_paul

It's really a blessing to have a photographer friend with you on the trail. With that, these photos wouldn't be made possible if not because of Francis Paul (@wander_paul). Check out his IG feed for excellent shots and stunning captures.


Trekking in the mountains is also about people. About relationships established, the strengthened friendship, sharing “padidit” moments, and slipping along the trail laughter. It’s also about the after-climb sessions with bottled beers while waiting for the last ferry or bus schedule. It’s also about reaching the summits that were only seen in social media posts before. And the feeling you get when you finally conquered the mountain – empowerment, strength, confidence, and healing. How I want to share all these with them!


To my favorite human beings, I hope you’ll find the joy and willingness to climb mountains and do something about it. Maybe one day, I can do all these wonderful things with you.

Running Clean Water

Every single decision you make counts in the mountains so you need only to do what’s necessary. Included in those decisions, is saving the supply of water that you have and make sure that you still have more until the trek ends. You can’t just simply bring a container full of water, and carry it up in the mountains. So, imagine not being able to brush your teeth and take a shower for two days.


"I got stinky. I got dirty. But see, I learned." 


Since we ventured over a muddy path, spots of dirt and mud are stuck not only in our clothes but in our skins as well. These are the moments where I wanted badly to jump and submerge myself on clean waters. I started to feel slight of itchiness on my toes so I washed it using the supply of water I have along the trail. That was a big mistake. I ended up having only a few amounts of water left. 

Nothingness

Nothing. As in making time for myself without any scheduled appointment for the whole day. I am talking about the idea of “nothing”.

Because of the struggle and muscle pains I felt, I couldn’t help but think about when was the last time I actually did nothing at all, doing the art of sitting in silence. Relaxing. Listening. Breathing. Realizing things. It’s been so long.

My pacing slowed down because of the heavy weight on my back so, most of the time I was at the tail part of the walk, together with Shiek, Marson, and Angel (our sweepers who I have so much respect with). Their appeal was in that they’re all so calm, even with weighty loads, and they always insert laughter in between of their steps. Sometimes, they just calmly sit and rest in the middle of the trail, taking everything in. It was a hint for me to also take time, rest, and just enjoy doing nothing for few minutes.


Along Bedjao's trail.


This climb reminded me that I’ve been permitting myself to get too hectic. It’s quite appealing to feel something familiar with other people out here in the mountains.

Final Thoughts   
                                                                                                    
It’s not really that bad. I mean, we all at some instances in life, face a period of time where the things that we carefully planned will crumble. Our minds were already focused on sticking to the plan. But we forgot that life doesn’t always work in our ways.


May namumuong tambalan. Hi, Viva Films. Until now we're still waiting for updates about these two. | Lake Yagumyum, Valencia, Negros Oriental | 📷 @pierce_vince

It’s the similarity between climbing mountains and life that entice me. I had the opportunity to discover more of who I am, understand more about things, and explore my limits.

What we expected is 1,903 Masl-away from the reality we experienced. Thus, the impact of Talinis still differs a lot according to the level of strength, passion, and concentration that we have during the climb. Regardless of our individual experience, the fact that we survived the trail – is a sweet melody that when heard, it gives us enough reason to endure and strength to continue existing.  *Insert Super Mario game sound effects*

Thank you Mt. Talinis! Because of you, I learned more to love the ups and downs of life. When we fall, we stand up on our feet again, even with trembling knees and aching feet. Then, take one step forward and move on. And the cycle continues.

I think in every climb, the best part is always found along the journey – the trail, the people with us and the laughter we shared, the struggles and surviving it all together – you, the summit peak, and everything in between. Without experiencing through the highs and lows, this whole major climb thing feels empty. 

We did it! Hooray! Family picture at the summit. | Mt. Talinis, Valencia, Negros Oriental | 📷 @pierce_vince






All Rights Reserved
MALIPAYONG JOSEFINA
@happyemzey
(follow on facebook, twitter and instagram)


To God be all the glory and praise.




Comments