An Open Letter To The Boyfriend



I used to expect a lot more when it comes to relationships - the one that is influenced by the books I've read, the movies I saw and those real-life relationships I've witnessed. I've been clipping visions and thoughts, and been day dreaming about what it should look like and the feels. I've been setting standards as high as the walls I've built to keep my heart safe, and wait for those pinned ideas to happen.

And then, you came. Miraculously. I didn't saw you coming. You broke down the barriers around because you know I'm worth it.

It took me a while to realize how blessed I am by having you around. You keep me safe.

What we had isn't that easy, it comes with challenges and difficulties. But you made it possible for the both of us to still say, "this journey is worth it." And I really thank you for that.

Thank you for choosing to stay.

Thank you for appreciating the good days, understanding the bad ones and everything in between.

Thank you for making me feel good about myself by loving me for who I really am and what I have become.

Thank you for inspiring me to become a better version of myself. And still waiting patiently for it to happen.

Thank you for accepting me even when I am not trying to impress you, even when this society says I am not that acceptable, even when I feel like I am most unlovable.

Thank you for being confident enough to show me around in public.

Thank you for taking me to work at the most highly inconvenient hour.

Thank you for taking care of me when I got ill.

Everything is comfortable. What we had may not be perfect, but we both know this is real - the kind that scares.

The kind that changes not who we are, but the way we are.

The kind that influences how we see things and how to react to it.

The kind that taught us to open our minds to different worlds, outside of our own, and then teaching us to look at life differently.

The kind that chooses to come back after taking few steps of walking away.

Yeah, after taking few steps of walking away and letting go.


This love made me realize that the standards I used to define of what love really is, is far from the real thing. We found love in the midst of messiness, in between imperfections. I am so happy I opened the door when you came knocking. I am glad I let you in. The moment I said, "Welcome to my life.", what I really meant was, "I hope you are going to stay for a longer period of time." And you did.

Above all, I praise God for the days we've already shared. And still counting...

I love you too. ❤


#WordsthatHeal

Comments