At 22 I Found Out My Purpose in Life


And it’s not happiness.




What could it be?

This realization hit me straight right at home with me. You know those thoughts that suddenly appear out of nowhere while you’re sipping a cup of coffee, and you’re alone one fine afternoon. Yeah, I’ve been thinking about life lately, since I have so much free time to reflect these past few months. And I realized that the purpose of life is not just happiness, but it’s more about being useful to the people around.

"Usefulness is me, being useful. And that’s the reason why I am still here with you."

So, I made a decision to stop pursuing my own happiness and start living a meaningful life by being functional to my family, my friends, and even to strangers. And found out that by doing so, I am actually at my happiest.


Okay. I am one of those who believed before that “to be truly happy” is the ultimate purpose in life - that’s what I’ve been hearing from people also and what  I’ve been seeing when I scroll down and up my Facebook Timeline. As a matter of fact, if you’ve observed people these days, you can see them following their own kind of happiness – travels, extreme adventures and the like. I got confused about that because I’ve been reaching peaks of my happiness for multiple times already, and I still end up looking for something else – some sense of satisfaction, like something is still missing.

After I graduated from college, I decided to do all the things that can bring me happiness. I started buying things for myself, I started doing things that can give me happiness, I started chasing people to experience pleasure and bliss, I accepted a job I don’t like which I thought would give me delight, and I started going on adventures by traveling to different places, even climbing mountains.


All those things, at some point, have made me happier. But actually, they’re only useful to me, not to the people around I guess. And it didn’t create such a strong impact.

But, you know what? At the end of the day, I am quite sure that I enjoyed so much and that my soul was truly filled, but the feeling only lasted for a couple of weeks or months. And after that, when I’m all alone with my emotions and thoughts, I always feel like there’s anything else that I should pursue or something is missing because I still haven’t done things that could really bring meaning to my existence.

And I started feeling a bit more aware of what I’ve been doing with my life so far. And all I can think of is to make a difference, not to change the world or anyone, but to simply be completely useful as a human being.


I decided to ditch some of my friend’s invitations to save time, money and energy and help in some little ways at home.

I learned to say “No” this time so I can spend more time with people at home.

I started to date my sister and take her to a salon, have our toenails pedicure.

I sometimes cook a meal at home.

I decided to write my emotions and make this blog alive again, so others can somehow relate to my experiences, hoping that these words can bring healing to their pains and answer to their confusions.

I helped an old lady carry one of her baggage.

I made myself open again to people so that they can share to me their problems again, and somehow I can make them feel that they’re not alone.

I continued serving the Youth Organization I belong to.

I started using metal straws to help save the turtles and the environment as a whole.

I obeyed what my parents want me to do with my life because I know they know better more than I do.
I like it when I’m useful to a certain situation, to the people around, and even to somebody who I just met along the way. What I did might not be that big, but I know they made a difference in other’s lives – doing little useful things, one at a time.
“Do something useful today, is what I’ve been telling to myself every day I wake up.

And I know you can, too. You can do simple or grand things or anything you feel doing - as long as it is useful, as long as it can put a smile to someone’s face, as long as it can make their hearts warm, and it can make them feel like humanity still exists.

My friend, Do Life Big.



All Rights Reserved
MALIPAYONG JOSEFINA
@happyemzey
(follow on facebook, twitter and instagram)






To God be all the glory and praise.



Comments