Letter to My First Tattoo: Know That You Will Not Be the Only One


 Quillyou are more than ink tattooed on my wrist; you are my first but definitely not the last; you lead the way in breaking a new ground; you are a memento of my lessons to the world.




If you ask a 21-year-old me if I want to have those inks needle-marked on my skin, I would definitely say no. That’s not going to happen, ever. Why would I put myself on a pedestal where people will judge me in a generally negative light? Opinionated human beings would rate me as less motivated, less decent, unkind, lost, confused, less religious, low intellect, less attractive and more other unnecessary words to describe a miserable person.

At 22, I was still narrow-minded on having your dyes indelible into the dermis layer of my skin.

At 23, my views and opinions started to change. And I begin to realize wanting, not just a simple marking, but one that speaks truth and volume itself.

Now that I’m 24, I finally had the courage to embrace this form of art regardless of what people might think. Not with a broken heart, not even confused in life. I had this while my heart is happy and at peace. 

You see, there is fear that goes along in having you on my skin. Fear that I might be neglected and disowned by my own folks. And I apologize if we will have to go through to this phase before we can reach that free will you and I deserve.





I put you on my wrist to remind me always of my passion. A lot of people got confused of what you look like and how you signify in my life. I hope your pigments can invite them into the depths of my being. I hope your traces can make them understand my way of existence, my values, and the soul of my beliefs.

Please know that I am not ashamed to show you off in public. I want them to see you. So they will understand me. So maybe, just maybe, they will understand my truth.

This world expects me to live with authenticity and to connect differences. But yet scribbling my reality and genuineness to my body they condemn.

Nevertheless, I cherish each of your lines tattooed on my wrist, for not only do they converse to others, but I know they also do something more deep. Your patterns communicate with me. Every moment I take a bath and get ready to face another day, every moment I go to sleep at night. They “whisper” to me. They strike a chord so I will not fail to remember the greatness I am capable to do.

Quill, you are the first tattoo I chose to confess my truths on my skin - in watercolor effects and black lines. Because you help me find my way back on how to inspire others, one of which I sometimes leave behind and stop thinking about.

I am certain that having you on my wrist won't make the Lord love me less. It won't make me less humane either.

To anyone reading this now, be loud and proud to speak your stories of truth, whether inked in dye or inked in tears. Our stories will remind others that they’re not the only one dealing life’s complexities. Our arts speak truth that anyone needs to see and hear. This will give them hope, light, and strength.

 And they will choose to continue on.






All Rights Reserved
MALIPAYONG JOSEFINA
@happyemzey
(follow on facebook, twitter, and Instagram)





To God be all the glory and praise.



Comments